Adam Grant is one of the world’s leading management thinkers and the top-ranked Professor at Wharton. He’s also a great writer. In Originals, we take a look at "How Non-Conformists Move the World." Big Ideas we explore in the Note include vuja de, creating a ton of stuff, activating your GO! system when fear strikes, the fact that venting just fuels anger (and why empathetic anger is where it’s at), and how proper revolutions are less about cataclysmic explosions and more about long, controlled burns.
Michael Phelps is the most decorated Olympian in history and arguably the greatest athlete ever. This book is a quick look at 8 virtues that led to his 8 gold medals in '08. Big Ideas we explore include how to train your mind, going all in, knowing what's important now (aka W.I.N.), and not confusing "can't" vs. "won't."
Ryan Holiday is brilliant. So is this book. The ancient Stoics taught us how to not only accept challenges but to thrive on them. Ryan brings their wisdom to life with compelling stories of great peeps who have rocked it in the face of adversity. In the Note we'll take a quick look at the three keys to making obstacles work for us: Perception + Action + Will.
Motivation and Personality by Abraham Maslow. Here's a look at some of my favorite Big Ideas from the dood who occupies the Great-Grandfather slot in my Spiritual Family tree: Abraham Maslow. He came up with the idea of "self-actualizing" and the hierarchy of needs and we chat about all that and more in this episode of PhilosophersNotes TV. Hope you enjoy! :)
Here are 5 of my favorite Big Ideas from "Natural Born Heroes" by Christopher McDougall. Hope you enjoy!
Here are some of my favorite Big Ideas from "The Willpower Instinct" by Kelly McGonigal. Hope you enjoy!
Here are 5 of my favorite Big Ideas from "Move Your DNA" by Katy Bowman. Hope you enjoy!
Mental Toughness. If we want to optimize our lives and actualize our potentials, we MUST get our minds strong! This book is a *great* look at how to go about doing that. It’s a quick-reading, engaging look at Jason Selk’s practical, 10-minute plan to mental toughness. Big Ideas range from learning how to control our arousal state, replace negative thoughts, being solution-focused and the #1 rule for crushing it.
Optimize: https://optimize.me/ (← Get Free Stuff + Free 2-Week Trial!) Optimize Coach: https://optimize.me/coach (← Join 2,000+ Optimizers from 70+ Countries!)
Here are 5 of my favorite Big Ideas from Falling Upward by Richard Rohr. Hope you enjoy!
Alexandra got this book for me after I told her how much I loved David Brooks’ The Second Mountain. Apparently it is recommended alongside that book on Amazon. With 1,400+ reviews, Alexandra thought I might like it. Not only did I like the book, I loved it. And, I fell in love with Richard Rohr. Father Rohr is a Franciscan priest who beautifully integrates his faith with wisdom from various perspectives. Big Ideas we explore include our main Job in life (remembering that we're light bulbs and staying screwed in!), life's two major tasks, the fact that the way UP is DOWN (hence, the title of the book: Falling Upward), the hero and the heroine and their journeys, the paradox of the ego ("You ironically need a very strong ego structure to let go of your ego"), and how to become a Serene Disciple (let God drive).
Get Falling Upward on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Falling-Upward-Spirituality-Halves-Life/dp/0470907754
Learn more about Richard Rohr: https://www.optimize.me/authors/richard-rohr-ofm/
► RELATED RESOURCES:
Big Idea 1: LIGHT BULBS
- +1: We’re Only the Light Bulbs | Our Job Is to Remain Screwed In! (#1090) → https://www.optimize.me/plus-one/were-only-the-light-bulbs/
- +1: Optimize = Optimus | = The Best Version of You (#367) → https://www.optimize.me/plus-one/optimize-optimus/
- +1: Lightbulbs in the Temple of God | Less Graffiti, More Shining (#887) → https://www.optimize.me/plus-one/lightbulbs-in-the-temple-of-god/
Big Idea 2: 2 TASKS
- PN: The Second Mountain by David Brooks → https://www.optimize.me/philosophers-notes/the-second-mountain-david-brooks/
- +1: The Paradox of the Ego | Ironically: We Need a Strong Ego to Let Go of Our Ego (#1092) → https://www.optimize.me/plus-one/the-paradox-of-the-ego/
- +1: The Mountain-Races of Life | And How to Win Them (#1066) → https://www.optimize.me/plus-one/the-mountain-races-of-life/
Big Idea 3: TURNAROUND
- +1: Jesus Said: Who Shall Inherit the Earth? | Was It the “Meek” or the “Disciplined”/”Tamed”? (#438) → https://www.optimize.me/plus-one/jesus-said-who-shall-inherit-the-earth/
- PNTV: Fearless by Eric Blehm → https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z46dJ0c_JRY
- +1: Legitimate Suffering | Let’s Allow It and Stop Multiplying It (#1097) → https://www.optimize.me/plus-one/legitimate-suffering/
Big Idea 4: HEROS
- PN: The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell → https://www.optimize.me/philosophers-notes/the-hero-with-a-thousand-faces-joseph-campbell/
- Finding Joe documentary → https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8nFACrLxr0
- Pilot + Co-Pilot + Autopilot | The Art and Science of Installing Good Habit-Algorithms (#865) → https://www.optimize.me/plus-one/pilot-copilot-autopilot/
Big Idea 5: CHOICELESS
- +1: The Illusion of Choice | Want Greatness? There Is No Choice (#1263) → https://www.optimize.me/plus-one/the-illusion-of-choice/
- PNTV: It Takes What it Takes by Trevor Moawad → https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-88d6BM8Fb0
► FREE 14-DAY TRIAL:
Get the PhilosophersNote on The World According to Mister Rogers and 600+ other books by starting a Free 14-Day trial membership to Optimize: https://www.optimize.me/trial/
► MORE GOODNESS:
- Get the Optimize App for iPhone & iPad: https://www.optimize.me/apps/
- Get the Optimize App for Android: https://www.optimize.me/apps/
- Subscribe to the Optimize Podcast: https://optimize.me/podcast/
- Follow Optimize on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BriantheOptimizer/
- Follow Optimize on Instagram: https://instagram.com/optimize.me/
Sam Harris is part philosopher, part neuroscientist (with a Ph.D. from UCLA) and part contemplative seeker. His writing is smart, incredibly clear, and unapologetically direct. In Waking Up, he applies his intellect to the subject of discussing spirituality rationally—devoid of the baggage of both religious superstition/dogma and New Age woo woo-ness. Big Ideas: Mindfulness + meditation, stages of spiritual development, cultivating choice, and accepting while striving.
Here are 5 of my favorite Big Ideas from "Die Empty" by Todd Henry. Hope you enjoy!
Here are 5 of my favorite Big Ideas from "The Inner Game of Tennis" by W. Timothy Gallwey. Hope you enjoy!
Here are 5 of my favorite Big Ideas from "Courage Under Fire" by James Stockdale. Hope you enjoy!