Here are 5 of my favorite Big Ideas from "No Sweat" by Michelle Segar, PhD. Hope you enjoy!
Here are 5 of my favorite Big Ideas from Future Visions by Abraham Maslow. Hope you enjoy!
As you know if you’ve been following along, I love Abraham Maslow and feel a deep kinship to him and his work. We have featured two of the books he published during his lifetime: Toward a Psychology of Being and Motivation and Personality. Although this book has only ONE review on Amazon and I could only buy a used copy of it, I knew I’d love it. And, although I had already been deeply influenced by Maslow and his thinking, there was something about reading his unpublished essays and journal thoughts that made me feel that much more connected to this great man. Big Ideas we explore include Maslow’s thoughts on the “eupsychian ideal” (aka: the “eudaemonic ideal”!), the psychology of happiness (eudaimonology!!), Stoic philosophy (Maslow was a fan), vicious cultural influences (Maslow was NOT a fan!), and the Jonah Complex (ANSWER YOUR HEROIC CALL, already!!).
In this PN TV episode, we'll have fun looking at some Big Ideas from the old school Stoic Philosopher Epictetus' "Enchiridion" (aka "The Art of Living). Hope you dig it!
Here are 5 of my favorite Big Ideas from Gratitude Works! by Robert Emmons, Ph.D.. Hope you enjoy!
I’m grateful for Robert Emmons. He’s dedicated the last three decades of his life to understanding the science of how to boost our well-being. In the process, he’s conducted ground-breaking research on the power of gratitude. In fact, he’s basically THE researcher we have to thank for understanding *just* how powerful gratitude journaling is. (He's also served as editor-in-chief of The Journal of Positive Psychology.) I consider myself a reasonably grateful guy but this book has opened my eyes to JUST how powerful gratitude is. And, to just how important it is to DELIBERATELY PRACTICE it. Big Ideas we explore include: How to give yourself a 25% (!!!) boost in happiness, the top gratitude practices, the #1 obstacle to gratitude (and its remedy), and using challenges for grateful fuel!
Optimize: https://optimize.me/ (← Get Free Stuff + Free 2-Week Trial!)
Optimize Coach: https://optimize.me/coach (← Join 2,000+ Optimizers from 70+ Countries!)
Here are 5 of my favorite Big Ideas from The Upward Spiral by Alex Korb. Hope you enjoy!
Alex Korb is a neuroscientist in the department of psychiatry at the University of California, Los Angeles. (Go Bruins!) He’s also a great writer. As per the sub-title, the book is all about “Using Neuroscience to Reverse the Course of Depression, One Small Change at a Time.” It’s REALLY good. Inspiring. Scientifically grounded. Simple. Practical. <- A winning formula for a great book! Big Ideas we explore include the power of exercising your brain (which is the #1 tip, btw), setting goals (and making decisions), developing positive habits (via repetition, repetition, repetition), biofeedback (and how to take advantage of it), and the power of others (rely on it!).
Get The Upward Spiral on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1626251207
Learn more about Alex Korb: https://www.optimize.me/authors/alex-korb-phd/
► RELATED RESOURCES:
Big Idea 1: EXERCISE - YOUR BRAIN
- Conquering Depression 101 → https://www.optimize.me/conquering-depression/
- Conquering Anxiety 101 → https://www.optimize.me/conquering-anxiety/
- Conquering Procrastination 101 → https://www.optimize.me/conquering-procrastination/
- +1: +1 or -1 = Destiny Math | What Must YOU be? (#1) → https://www.optimize.me/plus-one/destiny-math/
- +1: The Bridge | Between Goals and Accomplishments (#821) → https://www.optimize.me/plus-one/the-bridge/
- PNTV: Why We Sleep by Mattew Walker (#392) → https://www.optimize.me/philosophers-notes/why-we-sleep-matthew-walker/
- PNTV: Gratitude Works by Robert Emmons (#402) → https://www.optimize.me/philosophers-notes/gratitude-works-robert-emmons/
- PN: Spark byJohn J. Ratey → https://www.optimize.me/philosophers-notes/spark-john-ratey/
- PN: The Joy of Movement by Kelly McGonigal → https://www.optimize.me/philosophers-notes/the-joy-of-movement-kelly-mcgonigal/
- PNTV: Tiny Habits by BJ Fogg → https://www.optimize.me/philosophers-notes/tiny-habits-b-fogg/
- +1:How to Sidestep Depression | Did You Know There’s a Magic # of Steps? (#1064) → https://www.optimize.me/plus-one/how-to-sidestep-depression/
- +1:Exercise vs. Zoloft | Feeling Depressed? Pop Your Exercise Pill! (#440) → https://www.optimize.me/plus-one/exercise-vs-zoloft/
Big Idea 2: SET GOALS + MAKE DECISIONS
- +1: Make Decisions | But Only If You Want to Feel Better (#1225) → https://www.optimize.me/plus-one/make-decisions/
- +1: Victim vs. Creator | Two Questions: "Why Me?" vs. "What Do I Want?"(#76) → https://www.optimize.me/plus-one/victim-vs-creator/
Big Idea 3: + HABITS = REPETITION
- +1: We Are What We Repeatedly Do | Excellence, then, Is Not an ACT but a Habit (#469) → https://www.optimize.me/plus-one/we-are-what-we-repeatedly-do/
- Optimizing Algorithms 101 → https://www.optimize.me/master-class/optimizing-algorithms-101/
- PNTV: Tiny Habits by BJ Fogg → https://www.optimize.me/philosophers-notes/tiny-habits-b-fogg/
- +1: Perfectionist vs. Optimalist | Which Are You? (#50) → https://www.optimize.me/plus-one/perfectionist-vs-optimalist/
- +1: Win or Learn | Three Questions to Ask after a Disappointing Performance (#96) → https://www.optimize.me/plus-one/win-or-learn/
- +1: "Needs work!" | What to Say to Yourself When Things Don’t Go as Planned (#31) → https://www.optimize.me/plus-one/needs-work/
- +1: Mistake-Learner’s High | Enjoy It as You Pursue Audacious Goals and Endlessly Evolve (#370) → https://www.optimize.me/plus-one/mistake-learners-high/
Big Idea 4: BIOFEEDBACK
- PN: Presence by Amy Cuddy → https://www.optimize.me/philosophers-notes/presence-amy-cuddy/
- +1: iHunch | What Not to Do If You Want to Be Powerful (#166) → https://www.optimize.me/plus-one/ihunch/
- Optimal Breathing 101 → https://www.optimize.me/master-class/optimal-breathing-101/
- +1: The Rules of Breathing | The Big 3: Nose + Belly + Exhale (#485) → https://www.optimize.me/plus-one/the-rules-of-breathing/
- +1: Smile! | A Surprisingly Powerful Way to Boost Your Mood (#115) → https://www.optimize.me/plus-one/smile/
- +1: How Clark Kent Becomes Superman in 11 Seconds |
Flipping the (Superhero) Identity Switch (Then Reflipping/Ducktaping It So It Sticks All Day Every Day) (#660) → https://www.optimize.me/plus-one/how-clark-kent-becomes-superman-in-11-seconds/
Big Idea 5: POWER OF OTHERS
- +1: The Power of Others | Rely on It! (#1226) → https://www.optimize.me/plus-one/the-power-of-others/
- Free 14-Day Optimize Trial → https://optimize.me/
► FREE 14-DAY TRIAL:
Get the PhilosophersNote on The Upward Spiral and 600+ other books by starting a Free 14-Day trial membership to Optimize: https://www.optimize.me/trial/
► MORE GOODNESS:
- Get the Optimize App for iPhone & iPad: https://www.optimize.me/apps/
- Get the Optimize App for Android: https://www.optimize.me/apps/
- Subscribe to the Optimize Podcast: https://optimize.me/podcast/
- Follow Optimize on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BriantheOptimizer/
- Follow Optimize on Instagram: https://instagram.com/optimize.me/
In this PN TV episode, we take a quick look at one of the core texts of Buddhism--"The Dhammapada." Hope you dig it!
Here are 5 of my favorite Big Ideas from "Chasing Excellence" by Ben Bergeron. Hope you enjoy!
If you’ve ever worked out at a CrossFit gym and/or watched the Reebok CrossFit Games, you know that the absolute best CrossFit athletes are absolute beasts. Well, Ben Bergeron has been the coach behind six world championships. This book is his inspirational, wisdom-packed !!! look at how he coaches greatness told through the lens of the 2016 Games in which his athletes Mat Fraser and Katrín Davíðsdóttir BOTH won. Think about that... He coached BOTH the men’s and the women’s champions. That’s amazing. My copy of the book is r i d i c u l o u s l y marked up. The book is OUTSTANDING. Big Ideas we explore include: Committing to excellence vs. "Meh, I'm good enough.", the 12 character traits of a champion, grit how's yours? positivity selection attention + confirmation bias, embracing adversity overload and get stronger!, and acting like a champion NOW.
Here are 5 of my favorite Big Ideas from "Finding Your Zone" by Dr. Michael Lardon. Hope you enjoy!
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius. In this PN TV episode, we're gonna have fun with some Big Ideas from Marcus Aurelius: the (Roman) Emperor - (Stoic) Philosopher and his classic book "Meditations." Hope you love it!
Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihaly. In this PN TV episode, we take a quick look at some of my favorite Big Ideas from Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi's GREAT book, "Flow"--including the importance of learning how to control the contents of our consciousness as well as how to get ourselves more consistently into the state of optimal experience known as Flow. Hope you enjoy!
In this PN TV episode on David Emerald's "The Power of *TED," we'll explore DDT vs. The Empowerment Dynamic, Living from a Victim vs. a Creator Orientation, and the power of baby steps to handle the dynamic tension between our ideals and our current reality. Fun! :)
Here are 5 of my favorite Big Ideas from "Peak" by Anders Ericsson. Hope you enjoy!
https://wefunder.com/heroic ← Join 1,250+ Optimizers from 50+ countries who have already invested $4M+ in Heroic Public Benefit Corporation. Let’s make history as the largest crowdfunding startup ever. Then, much more importantly, let’s go do the hard work to change the course of history. -Optimize Team